Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Quotes for my Classroom Walls


As a math teacher, I have always had an uneasy feeling when I see classroom walls with posters that contain nothing but equations, definitions, formulas and algorithms. I think, "How is this exciting to students?" and I realize it's probably not. Now, I do see the value of such materials decking the halls of mathematics, and I don my walls with a few, but I've had a recent desire to scatter words of wisdom throughout my classroom in the form of quotes by famous (and not-so-famous) people. Here are two that that have caught my attention. What do you think--if you had to pick one to hang on your classroom wall, which would it be?

First Quote:

"This is the true joy in life, being used for a purpose recognized by yourself as a mighty one. Being a force of nature instead of a feverish, selfish little clod of ailments and grievances complaining that the world will not devote itself to making you happy. I am of the opinion that my life belongs to the whole community and as I live it is my privilege - my privilege to do for it whatever I can. I want to be thoroughly used up when I die, for the harder I work the more I love. I rejoice in life for its own sake. Life is no brief candle to me; it is a sort of splendid torch which I've got a hold of for the moment and I want to make it burn as brightly as possible before handing it on to future generations." - George Bernard Shaw

(Note: not all my students are selfish little clods of ailments and grievances, but I have come across a few.)

Second Quote:

“The best day of your life is the one on which you decide your life is your own. No apologies or excuses. No one to lean on, rely on, or blame. The gift is yours - it is an amazing journey - and you alone are responsible for the quality of it. This is the day your life really begins.” - Bob Moawad


What do you think? Which would you hang on your wall?

3 comments:

  1. Aaron,

    I love the first one but I think that the students will get lost at the "clods" part and not go on from there because it is sort of long.

    The other is more like a "soundbite" and might make an impression. Maybe both?

    Iam copying the George Bernard Shaw one because I need to be reminded of that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the quote about not making excuses. How many students say that they can't do something because they don't have the right tools or the right calculator. They always want someone or something else to blame. It is time that people take responsibility for themselves and make things happen for themselves.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with jeandix and agree that most students might get lost....perhaps I'd only take a snipit of the first one "....I am of the opinion that my life belongs to the whole community and as I live it is my privilege - my privilege to do for it whatever I can. I want to be thoroughly used up when I die, for the harder I work the more I love. I rejoice in life for its own sake. Life is no brief candle to me; it is a sort of splendid torch which I've got a hold of for the moment and I want to make it burn as brightly as possible before handing it on to future generations." - George Bernard Shaw

    ReplyDelete