Monday, July 19, 2010

Math as a Social Activity

From my experience math has been an almost entirely individual study. Teachers presented basic concepts and student repeated them on their own. I cannot recall any class discussion of a math problem. I don't think I ever participated in group work in a math class. There is now an effort to make learning math more of an interactive activity. Teamwork is a recent trend in teaching and learning math--especially when it comes to higher level problem solving. I came across this video and article about teaching math as a social activity and it gave something to think about.
Check it out -->
How to Teach Math as a Social Activity | Edutopia

3 comments:

  1. That video was interesting and although I don't teach math, I am going to use the working agreements in my class. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great video-thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought the video was very interesting. Thanks. I have actually been reading a book this summer arguing, along with other things, that it is well worth the time spent at the beginning of the year to get down routines. I liked the fact that the teacher built with the students the basic foundation of rules and agreements. The only thing I disagree with the teacher is having gifted and low kids work together. Generally, GT students and low students learn in completely incompatable ways, so they don't learn well from each other. High achieving students would work well in that environment however.

    ReplyDelete