Saturday, July 24, 2010

Using Spreadsheets in Teaching Math

"Spreadsheets build an ideal bridge between arithmetic and algebra and allow the student free movement between the two worlds. Students look for patterns, construct algebraic expressions, generalize concepts, justify conjectures, and establish the equivalence of two models as intrinsic and meaningful needs rather than as arbitrary requirements posed by the teacher." (Friedlander, Alex (1998). An EXCELlent bridge to algebra. "Mathematics Teacher," 91(50), 382-383)
I got this from an article at http://www.ericdigests.org/2003-1/math.htm

I don't know why I haven't been teaching with spreadsheets all along. They present the tools to make meaning out of abstract algebraic ideas. The graphs and charts help students visualize patterns. Overall, probably the best part is that students can easily go from raw data to ordered pairs to tables to charts to graphs in a matter of clicks. I gotta get into this!

I don't know of career in which a student is going to use a math textbook and a calculator--those are much too slow. Careers in math and engineering require spreadsheet proficiency. Math teachers need to get with the program!

6 comments:

  1. I'm not sure about all those big words that you used but I am wondering in this could be applied to fourth or fifth grade math. When you say spreadsheets are you talking about Excell?

    I feel that the more we can apply the things that we are teaching in the classroom to real life or in some way the students will actually use the knowledge then it seems to go across a little easier to the students because they know they might actually use this information.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Microsoft Excel is a great example of a spreadsheet program and probably one of the most widely used. I absolutely believe that 4th and 5th graders could use spreadsheets. Excel seems user-friendly enough that students could jump right in and start using the spreadsheets. It could be as simple as typing in two sets of numbers (say number of pizzas sold and total revenue) then click a button or two to see a graph or chart of the data. The best part is the speed going from numbers to charts or graphs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! This is a totally cool blog site you have. I guess it's hard to appreciate until we have tried to put one together ourselves.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think the biggest hurdle in using spreadsheets is the initial teaching of the tool. Once students are familiar with the spreadsheet idea, they totally get into it and you can use it for teaching all sorts of things.

    For 4th and 5th grades would you have the chart/graph already programmed in and have the students just add the data, or would you have them do the whole thing from scratch?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree that getting set up would be a lot of work. For the 4th and 5th graders, I would probably set one up for them--maybe one that already has the graph then they can play with the numbers. At another time I would show them how to create their own graphs. My experience has been with middle school students, so I'm not sure how the younger students would take to it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aaron,
    The spreed sheet idea is very cool. I started using it as a math teacher in junior high about 7 years ago. I had the students put the spread sheet in a power point. I liked to use it especially with a statistics unit. It is good to see how you use it. Now my teaching assignment has changed and I don't teach math. How every I teach Physics now and still use spread sheets.

    ReplyDelete